My husband and I got married about two and a half years ago, which I guess hardly makes me an expert on marriage advice, we have however been together for almost 11 years. We started dating when I was 15 and he moved in to my parents house when I was 16. When we were 20 we got our first place together and got married at 24. People often ask me “what married life is like” and my response is always the same: “the same as it was before”. See once you are together for a decade especially growing together like we had not much changes after marriage. We are still just as happy and in love as we were when we started dating and below are the reasons why.
- Have regular date nights– We have a date night once a month (at the very least) be it a trip to the movies, a night out to dinner, bowling, picnics whatever. why? because it is important to keep dating your husband (wife) to keep the romance alive.
- Socialize together– We also have game nights with his sister & brother-in-law or card games with my dad in order to get some socializing together. why? because social lives are important to mental well being
- Socialize separately–He is an avid gamer so a lot of his socializing is online where mine is visiting with my family & friends. why? It is not healthy to base your life solely around one person.
- Have alone time & together time– While he is gaming I am usually blogging or catching up on tv or reading but we do set aside time during the day to spend time together either watching the shows we both enjoy or just talking about our days.why? too much time apart can cause the relationship to fade while too much together can cause co-dependency
- Have open & honest communication– This one is the most important. I tell him when he is frustrating me & he does the same. We discuss hard to discuss topics such as money and bills etc. why?because secrets and repressed feelings can only be held down for so long eventually someone will blow.